Spooky season is finally here and there’s a lot to look forward to. Dressing up in creative costumes, visiting your local corn maze, and maybe even venturing into a haunted house or two. However, along with all the festive activities, Fall comes with an increased consumption of candy and other sugary treats.
Not only can excessive sugar consumption cause weight gain, increased risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, and acne, etc. but it can also have an effect on your mental health. Ever feel down and anxious after consuming too much sugar? Or start experiencing symptoms of irritability and headaches? All of these can be linked to the notorious sugar crash.
So how can we reduce our sugar consumption while still indulging in our favorite holiday flavors?
1. Swap out soda and other sugary drinks for water and infused teas
Did you know many people consume the most of their excess sugar through beverages? To help reduce your sugar consumption, swap out your soda beverages and other high sugar beverage items with infused waters and teas. You can even create seasonally inspired infused water blends.
Our favorite autumn inspired infused water includes sliced apple, pear, plum, and cinnamon sticks. Add all the fruits and spices into a pitcher and fill with water. Chill and enjoy!
You can also swap out the water for your favorite fall tea option for an extra flavor boost.
2. Make your favorite seasonal drinks at home
Did you know that you can create a low sugar, quick and easy pumpkin flavored latte at home? Just follow the quick and easy steps below:
- For the flavoring, combine 1 tbsp of pumpkin puree, 1-2 tsp of maple syrup, ½ tsp of vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, a dash of sea salt, and your other favorite seasonal spices.
- Add 1 cup of frothed milk alt. to the cup and either 2 shots of espresso or a ½ cup of strongly brewed coffee.
- Top with spices!
- You can also make in batches and store in the fridge for quick and easy lattes
3. INDULGE YOUR SWEET TOOTH WITH LOW SUGAR SNACKS AND TREATS
Itching for something sweet? Opt for fresh fruit, square of dark chocolate, or maybe our new line of chocolate dipped protein bars *wink wink*! Our two newest flavors, Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup and Chocolate Sprinkled Donut, lets you embrace some of your favorite sweet treats without compromising your nutrition. These bars are full of flavor, plant-based, and of course, low sugar.
4. TREAT YOURSELF...IN MODERATION
Life is about enjoying the little things, and for most of us, that includes tasty treats. You don’t have to omit your favorite sweets from your diet completely. Instead, eat what you crave in moderation. Keep it to small proportions and indulge in every bite you take. You may find yourself appreciating it more when you do decide to indulge in your favorite sugary goods.